Friday 17 July 2009

Facebook Friends and High School Reunions

Hi people, sorry for the relative lack of action on the blog this week. Been a busy time. should be back to normal in the coming days. Just a stop gap post for now, something short, and again stolen from Fazed.org.


This link will take you to a hot rant from a self confessed geek, berating his former high school bullies for now trying to add him as a friend on facebook. The whole 'why do people who I'm not friends with add me on facebook' rant is rapidly becoming one of the most overplayed social conventions of our time, possibly set to rival talking about the weather as the most common conversation to have with people you don't know. Ironically, this type of inane chatter (which is usually along the lines of "are you on facebook?", "so am I, it's great but gets a bit much, doesn't it?", "Yeah people I haven't seen in years and didn't even like back then keep adding me as a friend. "Yeah! Me too, what is it with them") is usually conducted with a person you don't know / haven't seen in a while / certainly don't want to be actual friends with and culminates, more often than not, in you both going home and adding each other on said website.

That said the blog post is well worth a read. It's a very eloquent riposte to the insultingly hypocritical attempts by his bullies to be all matey a few years down the line (much like the rudeboys who would rob you and then immediately after say "safe" and try to give you a terrorist fist jab). That and it is positively simmering with barely repressed nerd rage, which is never a bad thing.

The comments are also worth reading. Number 34 is a particular favorite:
Wow. Your story makes me really glad that I went to a small private school where academic achievement was actually valued (by teachers and students both), and abuse of that sort was not tolerated. If I heard of someone getting their fingers intentionally broken by another student at my old HS, I would be shocked. And that student would certainly be "told on" by other students and "asked to withdraw" immediately. What you went through is fucked up, Mark, and for the sake of everyone else, I hope that is well outside the norm even in large public schools.
Posted by: Uncephalized
Ahh, private schools. I love the idea of being "asked to withdraw" for purposely breaking someone's finger:

Dear Johnny,

You have been caught making Swastikas out of fire and breaking little Mark's finger to see what it sounded like. While your inventiveness and curiosity is to be commended you have been thoroughly 'told on' by your fellow students. A full blown expulsion would be far too embarrassing for all concerned so we are kindly asking you to withdraw from our establishment. Lets hope this does not happen again, even in those filthy large public schools you will now be attending. Say hello to your father.

Yours sincerely,

The Headmaster.

FC

5 comments:

rantee mcrant said...

Come on headmaster, sort your shit out.
We want rants. Daily. Filled with bile.
Vitriol leaking from every cracked seam.
Not Fazed.org

H O T R A N T said...

I hope my new post sates your thirst for irrationally angry outbursts. FC

rantee mcrant said...

Well I'm sorry to say it doesn't, damn you.

Certain flaws spring to mind:

First of all, I didn't realise that Yul Brenner's "I see pride..." speech was centred around that great symbol of African amour-propre, that noble beast of the savannah, "the bear."

Secondly and perhaps more importantly - unless I'm much mistaken, there seems to be some sort of defense on the part of 'F.C.' for the reprehensible "Bear" Grylls.

Does this not rather go against the editorial grain of a rather brilliant earlier piece by Hot Ranter Edward Mantle?

http://hotrant.blogspot.com/2009/06/bear-grylls.html

But I did enjoy finding out about the Westside Story squid.

Though I think you missed a trick with a Sharky and George reference.

H O T R A N T said...

I think you'll find your reading comprehension has let you down. I very clearly state that I am ranting about the need for there to be more "animals that I think are cool, and more importantly animals that piss off or harm members of the human race that I do not like. For example any species that attempts to harm Bear Grylls." A possibly badly placed picture may have thrown you off.

Secondly although the link was tenuous I think Bears have proven beyond reasonable doubt that they are "bad ass mudas who don't take no crap off of nobody." Regardless of the context of the original phrase

Don't like it. Do better (it's probably not very hard). We're always keen on contributions. Send stuff to: hotrant@gmail.com

I'm glad you like the squid, I will attempt to find more animals who engage in quaint gang-style roughhousing. FC

rantee mcrant said...

Reading and comprehension was never my strongpoint.
I concede.

About Us

My photo
We are Hot Rant. We are Fred, Tom and Ashley. We write about things we hate. We write about things we don’t really like. We laugh at those unfortunates who lose the plot themselves. When we have nothing else to say, we post links of things we find funny or suitably furious. You can too. Please submit 500 word (max) contributions to hotrant@gmail.com for consideration. You can follow us on http://www.twitter.com/hotrant